Sunday, January 23, 2011

Blue Valentine

I saw Blue Valentine this weekend while I was in Nashville, and I completely fell in love with it.

It's the story of a couple's deteriorating relationship, told from the end and beginning of the relationship simultaneously. Ryan Gosling and Michelle Williams were incredible. They created one of the most realistic relationships I've ever seen in film. There was not one moment where I didn't believe their performances. This could be due to the fact that the director, Derek Cianfrance lived with them for a month. They just lived, did dishes together, got to know one another, a really interesting idea I think. The acting was incredible, and one should go see it just for that.

Other aspects of the movie that caught my attention were things like what it was filmed on. Everything that was shown from the past was filmed on 16 mm film, and everything in the present time was filmed on HD. I loved the look this created. It made you feel like you were really in a different time when you watched the past.

The dialogue was written so well, the arguments, the situations, everything was so realistic. Being in a relationship myseslf, I could see arguments I've had with Ty, it was like watching both sides, and it definitely made me feel silly about some of the things I've argued with him about. It was great to see a movie that didn't give in to cliche ideas about men and women and simply showed it how it is. I would highly recommend this movie.




No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from all of you! Please remember any ideas on my blog are my own opinion and if you don't agree or have something you want to critique, please be polite.